Sedona Fire DistrictSedona Fire District home page
The SFD Crew

Who We Are » History

A History of the Sedona Fire District

Sedona, located in one of the most scenic areas of the country, is nestled at the mouth of Oak Creek Canyon in north-central Arizona, uniquely straddling two counties — Coconino and Yavapai. The “red rocks” attract tourists from all over the world, and today’s Fire District is highly trained, equipped, and ready to respond. However, back in the early days, residents in Sedona were concerned about their small town’s need for fire protection. In the late 1940s, the newly organized Sedona-Oak Creek Chamber of Commerce put out a fire bucket for contributions to a “Firefighting Fund.” A grand total of $40.44 was collected! Not discouraged, they appointed Carl Richards as the first “unofficial” fire chief in 1950.

Two years later, on December 15, 1952, Chief Richards lease-purchased Sedona’s first fire truck using money raised by the community and annual contributions from people living on both sides of the county line. The truck, a used 1944 Mack Hardy Navy crash truck, quickly became affectionately known as the “Turtle.”

As one might guess, the “Turtle” wasn’t the fastest thing around! It lacked the power to climb Sedona’s hills and, because it only carried 400 gallons of water and there were no hydrants, firefighting was a real challenge. If the “Turtle” ran out of water, the volunteer firefighters left the scene to go to the fill station and then return to the fire. If they got back before the fire rekindled, they considered themselves really lucky.

Although the “Turtle” was the first fire truck purchased by the town, it was not the first fire truck in the area. Robert Kittredge, owner of Forest Houses in Oak Creek Canyon, purchased a 1942 Maxim from the City of Gila Bend in late 1951. He and many Canyon residents were genuinely concerned about the dire possibilities of fire and volunteered both time and dollars to help one another. The Maxim stayed at Forest Houses until Kittredge donated it to the Sedona Fire Department Volunteers Association in June 1985. It has since been renovated by the Sedona Historical Society and is frequently on display at public events.

As tourism grew, the numbers of people moving through the community increased daily. Residents knew they needed more fire-protection equipment and personnel than the unofficial department provided. The pivotal event was the fire that destroyed Hart’s Store near the corner of the two major highways coming into town, known as the “Y” by locals.

back to top

In the summer of 1956, donations and pledges were actively sought from community members to fund a fire department. The Sedona-Oak Creek Volunteer Fire Department was officially created on April 7, 1957 by a group of committed volunteers. They had already dealt with some frightening structure fires and realized the potential for risk was increasing. Tom Frost, whose efforts were instrumental in developing the official fire department, was named the fire chief and had a secretary-treasurer and fourteen volunteers to work with him.

In 1957, most Sedona residents lived in Coconino County within the boundaries of the newly formed fire district, but those living in Yavapai County were without fire protection. It made residents aware of the technical problems that occur when a community is split geographically. That legal and political hurdle did not stop the volunteers! Although they were ineligible for compensation if injured and were restricted by threats of personal lawsuits, Tom Frost and his volunteers crossed the county line to help whenever needed.

In October 1960, the Red Rock Fire District was formed, spearheaded by the newly formed Red Rock Taxpayers’ Association, and the county line quandary was partially resolved. The Yavapai County district consisted of Fire Chief Jack Wager, a secretary/treasurer, and 11 volunteers. The two districts drew up a mutual aid agreement that allowed them to legally cross the county line to work as a team. Red Rock Fire District built its first two-bay station on land donated by a development company in Grasshopper Flats on Harmony Drive. They were also given the “Turtle,” which they used until 1964 when their new American LaFrance pumper was delivered.

back to top

Technology was not what it is today. The interlocking alarm system (known as the fire department command conference circuit) consisted of three alarm phones, each of which had six buttons for a siren, command buzz, fire override, dial conference, and two outside lines. The volunteer who answered the phone depressed the command buzzer to ring the 20 volunteers around town. If a volunteer’s phone was busy, the fire-override button interrupted the conversation by beeping. The volunteer would hang up and pick up the phone again to be automatically connected to command. Volunteers away from their phone knew there was a fire when they heard the siren. They dialed a special number to connect to the conference line. The siren was set off by holding downs its button and would sound as long as it was depressed. If there was a power failure, the system still ran off batteries.

By early 1963, a fire truck was stationed at Verde Valley School and six teachers qualified to use the equipment. Red Rock hoped to build a small fire station in the Village of Oak Creek, but that was still 10 years away.

Sedona’s first ambulance was donated by the Business and Professional Women’s Club (BPW) of Sedona in March 1963. Not everyone in Sedona was happy because many thought the community was not ready to staff or operate an ambulance. “Big Bertha” was so nicknamed because it was a converted van. “Big Bertha’s” arrival was the beginning of the Volunteer Firemen’s Rescue Unit, eventually evolving into the modern “Emergency Medical Services” (EMS) division. Red Rock assumed the administrative responsibilities, even though the rescue unit served the entire community and was financed by donations.

The first fire department newsletter, “Fireline,” was published in 1965 and written as a combined effort to keep volunteers and rescue squad members of both fire districts informed. Discontinued later, it was resurrected in 1984 when a contest was held to name it — and the winner was “The Sedona Fireline.” In 2005, the monthly newsletter was renamed “SFD Matters,” suggested by a firefighter’s wife, Michele Wassell.

back to top

The interlocking alarm system was expanded to 40 phones by 1966. With so many picking up the phone, background noise made hearing almost impossible. And, there were 27 fire calls that year — which means at least 27 attempts to get the word out for assistance.

Land for Station #2 on Upper Red Rock Loop Road was donated in 1964. They received the old pumper when Red Rock replaced it with a new 750 gallon American LaFrance.

Changes were constant because of the area’s continued growth. During 1968, another bay was added to the Harmony station. An automatic timer was installed on the alarm system so the siren would go off automatically when the button was pressed, rather than having to hold it down continuously. The year 1970 brought dramatic changes in the Rescue Service. Arizona instituted training regulations for ambulance drivers and attendants. They now needed to become Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), rather than having only basic Red Cross First Aid training. Although the State regulated the training, EMTs were not certified and were governed by the Division of Railroads under the Corporation Commission. Russ Petit, who came to be known as Sedona’s “Father of EMS,” attended 3 days of training in November 1970 to become Sedona’s first EMT. Sharing what he learned, he taught other rescue squad members and continued to teach EMT classes after it became a full-fledged college course. Russ’ wife, Georgia, became a member of SFD after he became an EMT. Russ and Georgia were a dynamic team, managing the rescue division for 11 years. They were undoubtedly the forerunners of today’s sophisticated emergency medical services.

In 1971, an agreement was worked out with the Forest Service, Imperial Properties, and Coconino County for 1 acre of land for the new county complex on Forest Road (where the old Sedona Oak Creek Station #1, the jail, and the judge’s office were located). Because the State had placed a limit on the amount a fire district could budget, Sedona-Oak Creek found itself with a problem. They needed to complete the station before the old one was moved, but the cost to construct the new station was more than they could budget and the district could not carry forward a debt.

back to top

If they used the funds to build the station, there would be no money left to operate the district. Once again, the town came to the rescue. Through donations and the money Sedona-Oak Creek could spend and still run the district, there was enough to complete the station. Station #4 was built with funding from residents who came to the rescue with sufficient donations to build the station and keep the budget on track. It is still the location of Station #4 and SFD now owns the entire property. The current Regional Communications Center is located upstairs in this building. Station #4, in Uptown Sedona, has grown and changed with the increased demands for services. The Communications Center and shift crew quarters are upstairs.

The Harmony station was increasing in size to accommodate needed rescue equipment. The rescue service had its own telephone number. Like the fire phone, it rang in each member’s house. The conference line was used to get information and to coordinate member response to the scene or ambulance.

The first paid fire department member was Ollie Simon, Fire Marshal for Sedona-Oak Creek, hired in 1971. The retired firefighter from St. Louis lived in a house trailer by the fire station, handling the district’s business and responding to calls.

back to top

By 1972, State Fire District Laws required the positions of Chief and Secretary / Treasurer to be filled by public election every 2 years. Previously, they were elected from among the volunteers themselves.

A community tragedy occurred on December 15, 1971, when a civilian died in an arson fire. The woman’s husband, unable to locate her in the heavy smoke, got out of the house to call the fire department. He was later charged with arson and homicide and brought to trial. Red Rock Fire District officials found evidence the fire was arson-caused, but the County later dismissed the charges because of “various circumstances.”

It was getting far too difficult to notify emergency responders through the telephone system alone. The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office began 24-hour dispatching with the help of the USFS and the fire districts. A Federal Grant to the USFS paid the salaries of two dispatchers and SFD paid for one part-time dispatcher. In return, the Sheriff’s Office dispatched fire calls and patrolled USFS campgrounds in Oak Creek Canyon. Ben Renfro, a retired Los Angeles firefighter, was hired by Red Rock as its Fire Marshal in late 1972. Like Ollie Simon in Oak Creek, he handled district business and responded to calls.

back to top

The Big Park Development Company donated a lot to Red Rock for a two-bay fire station in 1973. A campaign was immediately begun to recruit volunteers in the area to staff the station when it was completed.

Sedona’s rescue unit grew to 12 trained, volunteer teams strategically placed throughout the community who were dispatched to every coronary call equipped with a resuscitator and trauma bag. The team located closest to the call generally arrived before the ambulance!

A statewide EMS system had evolved by 1974, with the 3-day EMT training class expanded to a full college course. EMTs and ambulances remained governed by the Division of Railroads. Things became more complicated in 1978 because of the division of responsibilities. Ambulances were licensed by the Corporation Commission; Basic Life Support (BLS) personnel were tested by the Department of Public Safety, but licensed as “ambulance attendants” by the Corporation Commission. Advanced Life Support (ALS) personnel were governed by the Department of Health Safety (DHS). The paperwork became both a nightmare and a disaster. A public vote in 1981 finally made DHS the regulatory agency for training, ambulances, base hospitals, and BLS and ALS personnel.

The first two IEMTs at SFD were Gitti Silven and Ian Cameron in 1978. Ian began the certified emergency paramedic (CEP) course in Phoenix a year later with the financial assistance of the Sedona-Oak Creek Volunteer Firemen’s Association and community donations. He became the first career CEP for SFD. As a member of Sedona-Oak Creek, they supervised him, with all other medics managed by Red Rock. In 1984, all EMS personnel fell under the supervision of Red Rock’s Assistant Chief, with the cost to run the division split between the two districts.

back to top

1978 also saw the organization of the Red Rock Volunteer Firemen’s Association, and the first area maps were used to help responding personnel find the location of the emergency in the ever-growing Sedona area.

Red Rock reorganized in 1979 by public vote. From a previously elected Fire Chief and Secretary/Treasurer, they made the change to a five-member Governing Board. The first board included: John Carlson, Chairman; Chet Howard, Clerk; and members Dr. Thomas Matlock, Mirs Satran, and Robert Silven.

A giant step forward was made in 1980 with the installation of the 911 system. All of Sedona’s emergency telephones were finally consolidated into one. The public had an easy number to remember, providing the opportunity for better emergency service. The educational campaign for “Dial 911” was high priority. 1980 saw the development of an Emergency Services Agreement stipulating all ALS personnel fall under the medical direction of their base hospital. Fire districts were not allowed to govern themselves by law, but could prepare their own budgets, approve expenditures, and write checks, which had been done by the County Board of Supervisors. Red Rock also officially changed their name to Sedona-Red Rock.

John Olson was appointed Fire Chief for Red Rock in March 1982, coming from Flagstaff and Page Fire Departments for several years. Construction began on a new dispatch center at Station #4 in 1984. The dispatchers remained County employees until July 1, 1985, when the fire district assumed dispatching responsibilities.

back to top

In 1985, John Olson was also appointed Chief of Sedona-Oak Creek, a first step in combining the fire districts into one operational organization. An Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) resulted in the formation of the Sedona Fire Department, governed by both district boards. State law prevented the merger of fire districts across county lines, but they could combine administrative and operational functions while the legal boundaries and fiscal obligations remained unchanged.

Construction began on the first phase of Sedona Red Rock’s Station #1 on Southwest Drive, including apparatus bays and supply rooms. Phase II, in 1986, included the administrative offices. Phase III, the west wing, including the training room, large community room, and shift crew quarters, was not completed until 1992. In 1985, an Air Force A-10 jet crashed in Oak Creek Canyon. Accompanied by another A-10, the two jets were flying through the cloud-covered canyon when the one jet slammed into the canyon wall behind Twin Oaks. At the crash site, department personnel were hampered by exploding ammunition and live rounds scattered on the ground.

The October 1985 issue of Firehouse Magazine named Sedona Fire Department one of the top 25 in the country in an article entitled “In Search of Fire Service Excellence.” Also, in 1985, the Uniform Building Code was approved by popular ballot, and adopted in 1987 to coincide with the incorporation of the City of Sedona.

back to top

In 1988, a five-person governing board was elected at Sedona Oak Creek, replacing the elected Chief and Secretary/Treasurer. Board members included John Carlson, Chairman; James Sumner, Clerk; and members Jack Wilder, Lewis Miller, and Carlton Breitmaier. Shortly after the Sedona-Oak Creek Board was sworn in, the largest fire in Sedona history up to that time caused $1.5 million dollars in damage at the Sedona Airport. Arriving at 0645 hours, firefighters worked to control the situation into the early afternoon. Suppression efforts were hampered by a lack of water pressure and dripping magnesium, which burnt through one hose, slowing operations. The fire was started by spontaneous combustion from solvent soaked rags left crumpled on a wooden workbench. Fifty percent of the building and three airplanes were destroyed, with three others receiving heavy heat and smoke damage.

During 1989, Station #8 was built on land west of town partly donated by the Great Outdoor American Adventure and partly purchased from the USFS under the Townsite Act. Sedona-Oak Creek bought Station #5 in Oak Creek Canyon, and what is now known as the Station #1 “annex” was purchased on Hopi Drive.

William J. “Bill” Pritchard, Jr., a Volunteer Deputy Chief, was appointed Fire Chief in 1990. He had joined Sedona-Oak Creek as a volunteer in 1974, following in the fire service tradition of his family. During his tenure, the third phase of Station #1 was completed and Station #5 was remodeled and expanded. When Chief Pritchard was appointed, there were four career firefighter/medics. Pritchard streamlined the department into four major divisions and added an Assistant Chief for each: John Conway, Administration and Community Services; Gitti Silven, Emergency Medical Services; Jim Elmer, Fire and Logistics; and Bill Jackson, Support Services. After Chief Silven retired, Paul Coe joined the team as EMS Chief. Meanwhile, the full-time staff — for both administrative and operations — was growing rapidly.

After a public hearing that invited community discussion regarding this plan, the 1991 Uniform Fire Code was adopted by the Governing Board on April 13, 1993. Sprinklers were required for all residences of 5,000 square feet and more, and for all commercial buildings of 3,000 square feet or more.

A major project for Chief Pritchard and his staff was the turning the two districts into one through consolidation. In November 1993, Sedona Fire District was authorized by the voters to do business as one district, with one five-person board. This eliminated much of the duplication of efforts required by two boards, such as two budgets, two sets of accounting books, two agendas and Minutes for Board meetings, etc. With the consolidation approval, the community also elected the following Board members: James Evans, Chairman; George Tice, Clerk; and members Carlton Breitmaier, Denny Mandeville, and Steve Wood. Later, with the resignation of Steve Wood, Gary Karademos was appointed to the Board and was officially elected in November of 1996.

back to top

After 21 years of service to the department, Bill Pritchard resigned as Chief on October 9, 1995 to re-enter the private sector. After a nationwide search, Scott Alvord arrived from Oregon as Fire Chief in 1996, and the district changes were continuing at a rapid pace. While the numbers of volunteers remained strong, there were continued increases in fulltime employees. Third party ambulance billing was initiated; a volunteer medical transport team and community services van was instituted; the Communications Center began adding other agencies to their dispatching duties; a new station in the Village of Oak Creek was designed and construction began; the 1997 Uniform Fire Code was adopted. The needs of the community dictated these added services and responsibilities.

During the 2.5 years Chief Alvord was here, other organizational changes occurred resulting in one assistant chief for administration (John Conway), a deputy chief (David Watters), and three battalion chiefs (Bill Boler, Jim Elmer, Dan Wills). Since the City of Sedona’s incorporation in 1988, many residents assumed the Sedona Fire Department was a municipal fire department. In order to help reduce that confusion, Chief Alvord dropped the word “department” and started operating as simply the Sedona Fire District.

The Alarm Room officially was designated as the Regional Communications Center. They had dispatched for Pinewood Fire Department for years, but then began adding others. Soon, SFD was dispatching for nine different agencies, including Camp Verde Fire District, Clarkdale Fire Department, Cottonwood Fire Department, Jerome Fire Department, Montezuma-Rimrock Fire District, Pinewood Fire Department, Verde Valley Ambulance, and Verde Valley Fire District. In January 2007, two more districts were added to the Communications Center: Mayer Fire District and Black Canyon City Fire District.

back to top

The first women were elected to the governing board in 1998: Caryn Maxwell and Clerk Laura Rumann. Other members were Ian Cameron, Gary Karademos, and Denny Mandeville. The 1997 edition of the Uniform Fire Code was adopted by the SFD Governing Board on May 12, 1998. The sprinkler requirements for residences remained at 5,000 or more square feet, while the commercial was reduced to zero. Exceptions could be allowed after Fire Marshal review.

Fire Chief Larry Drake arrived from Orange County, California, in late 1999. SFD had been doing third party ambulance billing, outsourcing to a medical billing company to process invoices. The assignment was brought in-house with the hiring of an Ambulance Billing Specialist. With the completion of Station #3 in the Village of Oak Creek in 1998, SFD had four stations fully staffed with medics and firefighters. Because the calls in the Canyon were also increased, Station #5 was upgraded and also staffed full time, although with a smaller crew.

In 1999, Assistant Chief John Conway retired after 20+ years with SFD as a volunteer and then, career member. A 7-year-old girl miraculously survived a 90-foot fall from a trail west of Midgley Bridge, and SFD personnel picked her off with the help of a helicopter. During Chief Drake’s tenure, the district transitioned to a fully career department. Also, the Statewide Mutual Aid plan was developed and accepted, and several Verde Valley mutual and automatic aid agreements were also implemented. The need for more universal planning for public safety entities became a higher priority as it realized that successful partnerships were essential to service delivery.

back to top

SFD Battalion Chief Dan Wills was deployed to New York City in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Chief Wills went to New York as a member of the Southwest Interagency Incident Management Team to assist at the 16 acres of rubble formerly known as the World Trade Center. He was assigned to the Logistics Section as a Communications Unit Leader. His primary responsibilities were to establish and maintain all types of communications equipment, as well as manage the Incident Communications Center. Chief Wills said what would definitely stay with him is the sense of patriotism that all the workers and residents of New York City felt during that tragic time.

SFD sent crews to help fight the Rodeo-Chediski Fire in June 2002. The wildfire began burning in east-central Arizona beginning on June 18, 2002, and raged uncontrolled until July 7. It was the worst forest fire in Arizona to date, consuming 467,066 acres of woodland. Several communities — including Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, and Heber-Overgaard — were threatened and had to be evacuated.

In 2003, the Governing Board consisted of Board Chair Caryn Maxwell, Board Clerk Tom Wells, and members, Ian Cameron, Charles Christensen, and Ralph Graves. They adopted a Resolution to recognize the International Association of Firefighters, beginning an official Meet and Confer process for SFD. Administrative and support personnel formed their own association for representation. Both groups meet annually with management to develop a contract for the following fiscal year. All of this is tied in with the budget process.

Fiscal Year 2002/2003 saw the realization of the first true Strategic Plan for SFD. It was developed with the assistance of a Steering Committee that represented several areas of the fire district, including the Governing Board, and smaller groups that were assigned specific categories.

back to top

On October 2, 2004, a single engine biplane, attempting an emergency landing on Highway 89A in Sedona, struck the rear end of a vehicle and came to rest partially in the roadway. The pilot, James Barron, was giving a tour of Oak Creek Canyon to a couple from Oregon when the plane began to experience engine problems. The pilot headed back to the Sedona airport, but realizing he would not make it, he chose Highway 89A as a landing alternative. The plane descended westbound onto Highway 89A and touched down as it approached Coffee Pot Road. The traffic light turned red causing a car in front of the plane to slow down in preparation to stop. The driver of the vehicle saw the plane in his rearview mirror and attempted to move to the right to stop in hopes that the plane would pass over the vehicle. The lower right wing struck the rear of the vehicle causing the plane to veer around the vehicle and come to a stop on its left side, partially in the AM-PM gas station parking lot. Luckily, there were no serious injuries.

A warm rain storm, coupled with rapid snow melt, saw meandering Oak Creek turn into raging flood waters in late December 2004 and early January 2005, forcing the evacuation of upwards of 250 Sedona residents. The bridge at Tlaquepaque was closed for part of the day because of high water. Residence on Blackhawk Lane and the end of Brewer Road were impacted by the floodwaters. SFD emergency crews responded to 46 calls during this 4-day period

When Chief Drake resigned in early 2005, Deputy Chief Matt Shobert was tapped by the Board to handle the position of Fire Chief during an interim period. Six months later, he was appointed the full-time Chief. Shobert came to SFD in June 2000 as the fire district’s Deputy Fire Chief.

back to top

On April 21, 2005, Sedona suffered a $3 million dollar loss with the fire that destroyed Lumbermen’s, a local building supply store. Because the fire started in the middle of the night, it was fully involved by the time someone saw and reported it, and SFD was able to respond. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy fire visible from the roof section of the store. Equipment and personnel from other agencies also responded and assisted in extinguishing it. Although there was a large property loss, no one was harmed.

In February 2004, SFD annexed an additional 38 square miles west of the District. By October 2005, SFD also annexed 8 square miles to the south. By the time both annexations were completed, SFD’s response area was a total of 168 square miles which is about six times the size of the City of Sedona; the district includes West Sedona, Uptown, the Village of Oak Creek, Red Rock Loop area, Oak Creek Canyon, and areas west of the City’s boundaries.

During 2006, Sedona suffered two major wildland fires. The first, La Barranca, began on June 1, in a residential area of the Village of Oak Creek and quickly moved onto Forest Service land. The 836-acre fire directly impacted two subdivisions resulting in the evacuation of all residents east of La Barranca. A house was lost, as well as two smaller buildings. The second fire started on Father’s Day, June 18, and became known as the Brins Fire; it threatened Oak Creek Canyon, something the community had always dreaded. Oak Creek Canyon and sections of Uptown Sedona were evacuated due to the 4,317-acre fire, which cost $6,400,000 and required over 800 personnel to contain it. SFD provided support to the Forest Service firefighting crews, many of whom were from out of state.

back to top

Fortunately, SFD had initiated an emergency warning system using sirens that had been purchased with a grant award just prior to these fires. Residents and visitors now had an alerting system to make them aware of an impending emergency.

Oak Creek Canyon was closed in late July 2006 due to substantial rock, mud, and debris flow issues caused by the monsoon storms and associated with the Brins Fire carnage on Wilson Mountain. Passengers were trapped in vehicles between multiple slides in the Indian Gardens area, but without serious injuries.

Sophisticated technology improvements continued to improve our service capability. A new microwave system was installed in 2005/2006. An electronic staffing program was implemented in 2005. Paperless reporting, which allows firefighters to write reports directly into the computer system in the field, will be online in 2007.

Also, in 2006, SFD adopted a new motto: Safe… Friendly… Dedicated!

In February of 2007, the current Governing Board of Caryn Maxwell, Tom Wells, Joy Moore, Liza Vernet, and Ralph Graves approved the purchase of approximately 1.5 acres between Christ Lutheran Church and the Jewish Community Center and is moving ahead with plans for the development of a fire station for the Chapel-area.

In line with SFD’s philosophy to encourage education and training in 2007, professional development standards were raised throughout the district.

On SFD’s 50th Anniversary, April 7, 2007, current and past members all gathered on the banks of Oak Creek at Los Abrigados Resort to celebrate at a family picnic.

back to top

In March 2008, Fire Chief Matt Shobert announced his retirement from Sedona Fire District, as he had accepted the Fire Chief position in Hemet, California. Chief Shobert’s last working day at SFD was on April 18, 2008. The Fire Board appointed SFD Assistant Chief Bill Boler, a 25-year plus employee, as the interim Fire Chief. Chief Boler began leading the district on April 19, 2008.

Board Member Joy Moore announced she would be moving to California and tendered her resignation in August 2008. The Board then appointed Dick Fishel to complete Ms. Moore’s term of office. In November 2008, a new Fire Board was created with the election of new member, Don K. Harr, and former-Board Member Charles Christensen, with the balance of the Board being veterans, Ralph Graves, Caryn Maxwell, and Liza Vernet. Due to family commitments, Mrs. Maxwell resigned later that month, and Bert Berkshire was selected to complete her term.

After a nationwide search, SFD selected Nazih Hazime of Dearborn, Michigan, to serve as its Fire Chief beginning on September 1, 2009.

Sedona Fire District has been ever evolving during the past 50+ years! One thing has remained constant, however, even with the changes in equipment, facilities, and technology. The “constant” has been the people. The people are what make the organization thrive. Without those dedicated individuals throughout SFD’s history, the calls would not be dispatched, there would be no emergency responses, the trucks would not run, the computers would not “compute.”

back to top